Living in Texas we have plenty of restaurants around us with fantastic Mexican food so I really don’t make it at home very often. I was craving tacos the other night though and decided to put some together myself!
For quick and easy tacos I used some leftover steak from a previous meal. However, you can easily use raw, thinly sliced beef if you don’t have any leftovers on hand. Just marinate in the sauce and seasonings and then heat up on a skillet. I had some delicious grilled steak to add in to mine! I wish I could provide the recipe but my guy tends to put together random marinades (and they ALWAYS turn out good….)
I used That Green Sauce from HEB to marinate the steak that I had. You can use a pre-made taco seasoning, or make your own. A good recipe for the seasoning can be found here. I marinated the steak in the fridge for about half an hour, but that was just a personal preference. Once you are ready to cook it just place it in a small pot on the stove on low for about 10-15 minutes so it can reheat and soak up all the juices.
While the steak was on the stove I cooked the quinoa. For 1 cup of quinoa it requires 2 cups of water (or broth). Boil and then simmer for 15 minutes. I threw in some taco seasoning and chives into mine. When it was almost done I added in some canned corn and tomatoes.
In the meantime slice the avocado and heat up the taco shells. Once the quinoa is done place a few spoonfuls in the taco shells for the bottom layer.
Follow this with a sprinkle of shredded Mexican cheese and then a layer of meat. Top off with the avocado and then serve!
Tacos with Mexican Quinoa
- 6 oz steak raw or precooked
- 1 cup quinoa
- 6 taco shells corn
- 1/2 can corn
- 1 tomato
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp green sauce
- 2 tsp chives
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 6 tbsp shredded cheese mexican blend
- Slice the steak and marinate in sauce and half of the seasonings. Then put on low for 10-15 minutes in a covered pan on the stove.
- In a separate pan put the quinoa in 2 cups of water with the rest of the seasonings. Bring to a boil and then simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Heat up the taco shells while the meat and quinoa cook. Once done place a layer of quinoa in each shell.
- Next top with cheese and then the meat. Finish off with a topping of sliced avocado!
Black beans would have been a great addition of course, I just didn’t have any in stock! This quinoa can make a great side for any Mexican style cuisine, or maybe even an enchilada filling…!