Seasonal sides always set the mood on the table.
Let’s be real- holiday meals are all about the sides. A common ingredient that comes to mind for Thanksgiving and Christmas food is cranberries. I often see cranberry wild rice on the table and there’s nothing better than a homemade recipe. Looking for something simple but beautifully representative of fall and winter? This rice dish takes little effort and is a delicious tribute to the holidays.
You will need one vegetable, one fruit and one nut for your add-ins to this wild rice recipe. I chose carrots, cranberries and pecans. Start by cooking the wild rice with some seasonings. I sprinkled in some sage and pepper and used my favorite wild rice blend.
Peel and cut the carrots into small rounds. Combine with some fresh cranberries in a roasting dish with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with some rosemary and sea salt.
I chose to use a pomegranate balsamic vinegar that I had because it paired perfectly with the holiday flavors. I’m always collecting flavored balsamic to give that little extra to a recipe! The one I used can be found here from Olive & Vine.
Put the carrots and cranberries in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes. When the rice is done add in some honey roasted pecans and let it sit for about 10 minutes. These add the perfect subtle and sweet crunch! Once the cranberries and carrots are ready remove them from the oven and combine with the pecan wild rice. Serve up!
Roasted Pecan & Honey-Balsamic Cranberry Carrot Wild Rice
- 1 cup rice wild
- 6 carrots medium-large
- 6 oz cranberries fresh not dried
- 1/4 cup pecans honey roasted
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Cook the wild rice separately with some pepper and sage.
- Peel and cut the carrots into small rounds. Combine with some fresh cranberries in a roasting dish with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with some rosemary and sea salt.
- Put the carrots and cranberries in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes.
- When rice is done mix in some honey roasted pecans and the cranberries and carrots. Serve!
This roasted cranberry wild rice makes for a wonderful Thanksgiving or Christmas side dish! It’s easy and something you can prep and walk away from. We all know how busy the holidays can be! Try this one out next time you want an impressive dish to bring to the table.