Spaghetti squash is a versatile vegetable that you should definitely be cooking in your kitchen!
Love twice baked potatoes? How about pasta? Why not get the best of both type of meals with this instead! Twice baked spaghetti squash is a guilt free way to get your fix when you have a craving for either.
First, bake the squash. Do this by cutting the squash in half lengthwise and removing the center ‘guts’. Coat with olive oil and then place face down on a foil baking shoot to cook for about 40 minutes at 375. If needed, you can follow this post I found for step by step instructions.
When it is more than halfway cooked you can prep the filling. Start by cooking the ground turkey meat. Chop the onion and bell pepper and mince some garlic to throw in the sauté, then season. When the squash is done remove the tray from oven and flip the halves over. You then scrape the squash with a fork so it comes apart (it will be stringy). Take this and place in the sauté to mix everything up. You want to leave a little near the outside edge of the squash boats so that they can be sturdy enough to hold everything still.
One of my favorite little kitchen devices is this gadget! When it comes to mincing garlic this is my go-to tool!
When finished mixing put the filling back inside the spaghetti squash boats. Blend up the tomatoes (or use 1 cup of marinara) with the cottage cheese. I chose this type because it has less fat and I wanted to keep the recipe healthy. Pour the sauce over the top and sprinkle with cheese, then place it all in to the oven again. This time only cook for about 15 minutes or so. Remove and dive in!
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 lb ground turkey extra lean
- 1 can tomatoes chunks
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tbsp parmesean cheese
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 bell pepper green
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the center 'guts'. Coat with olive oil and then place face down on a foil baking shoot to cook for about 40 minutes at 375F.
- While this is cooking, chop the onion and bell pepper and mince some garlic. Sauté with the ground turkey meat and season.
- When the squash is done remove the tray from oven and flip the halves over. You then scrape the squash with a fork so it comes apart (it will be stringy). You want to leave a little near the outside edge of the squash boats so that they can be sturdy enough to hold everything still.
- Mix the spaghetti squash insides with the turkey sauté and put all the filling back inside the spaghetti squash boats.
- Blend up the tomatoes with the cottage cheese. Pour the sauce over the top and sprinkle with cheese, then place it all in to the oven again. Cook for about 15 minutes. Remove and dive in!
You can use 1 cup of marinara rather than blending up tomatoes.
This is by far my favorite spaghetti squash recipe! I followed Balanced Berry’s and just switched the type of meat and cheese. All of the flavors and juices bake together perfectly! It’s also man approved, because I watched my guy scarf his down 🙂
>>This is a 21 Day Fix APPROVED recipe!
When making this as part of a meal prep it counts for six servings. Each of those servings consists of 1/8 of a blue container, 1 and 1/3 of a green container and 1/3 of a red container.
I started eating healthy on my own a few years ago, around the time I started the blog. Shortly after I discovered the program 21 Day Fix and it COMPLETELY opened my eyes to clean eating. I learned how to control carbs, cut processed foods, not be so obsessed with sugar and so much more…. including how to become a meal prep pro! I now coach people through this program. Want to talk with me about getting started? Reach out to me here and let’s get you signed up!
I’ve never tried spaghetti squash, but I’ve always wanted to! This looks like a recipe I need to try! Thanks for sharing!
Love this dish! It is great for meal prep, it makes a ton of food!
Yes I totally agree! Glad to hear it 🙂