Take your taco obsession all the way to the campsite!
One of our favorite things to do is go camping and do some skillet cooking! I’m of course always wanting to get extra creative with what we cook over the fire, but sometimes you just want to take a break! That’s when I always go back to tacos. Because…. tacos.
I made this recipe for breakfast while we were out at the ranch, but really tacos are for anytime! The best part about these is they have that nice smokey flavor that you crave when you are camping.
I highly recommend prepping your ingredients beforehand. I diced everything up in the kitchen and put it in a foil pack before heading out. This just makes it that much easier when it comes to meal time while you are kicking back!
For my skillet campfire tacos I chose a combo of russet potatoes and sweet potatoes plus some sausage. For veggies I just added a green bell pepper and white onion. Peel the potatoes and dice everything.
You will need a cast iron skillet for this campfire recipe. When ready heat the skillet up by placing it over the flame. (Don’t do this directly- we used a stand.) Put in the potatoes first because they will take the longest to cook. I did bring a little olive oil with me to use. When about halfway done add in the veggies and the sausage. I cooked mine for maybe 10-15 minutes. It really depends on how small you cubed everything. Sprinkle with cheese until melty and then remove from the fire!
I definitely recommend heating up your tortillas too but that is just personal preference. Load up the tacos and enjoy!
Campfire Potato and Sausage Tacos
- 12 tortillas
- 1 sweet potato large
- 1 russet potato large
- 2 links sausage
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 onion small
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tsp pepper
- Peel the russet and sweet potato and then dice everything up. You can do this prior and keep in a foil pack or do on site while the skillet heats up over the fire.
- Add in a little olive oil and throw the potatoes in to the skillet. Sprinkle with pepper and some sea salt.
- When about halfway done add in the green bell pepper, onion and sausage. Cook for about 5-10 more minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese until melty and then remove from the fire. Fill a tortilla, roll up and enjoy!
Try out these campfire tacos next time you are cooking around a flame! Tacos are so customizable, and now you can have them on vacay! How do you taco??
Tacos are utensil free, but you should never be unprepared when camping and unable to eat!