What is it about Mexican food that categorizes it as such a guilty pleasure meal? Is it the cheese? Possibly, but who doesn’t love CHEESE?! A lot of times you can do small changes to a recipe to make it a LOT healthier for you. A perfect example would be my recent oven baked dinner dish of blue corn frito pie!
I chose a bag of blue corn chips to use for these because that in itself seemed like a much better chip alternative. When I found these at the store I was so excited to use them! I knew I had to get creative, but what better way than to take a traditional dish and make it a little special?
For the meat I chose lean ground turkey. Start by sautéing that with a little avocado oil and then mix in some diced veggies. I added onions and green bell peppers. I also used some taco seasoning to give a little flavor.
When the meat is done throw in some diced tomatoes, beans and corn. Mix everything together and remove from heat.
Drizzle a little oil or tomato juice in the bottom of the pan just to coat. Throw in the blue corn chips so they completely cover the bottom. Top with the meat and vegetable mixture.
Next sprinkle with mexican cheese blend and finish with some sliced jalapeños (optional of course). Bake at 375F for about 10 minutes or so, just enough so the cheese is nice and melty and everything is all cooked together. Remove and dig in!
Blue Corn Frito Pie Bake
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 can baked beans
- 1 can corn
- 1 bell pepper green
- 2 tomatoes small
- 1/2 onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese mexican blend
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 bag blue corn frito chips
- Sauté ground turkey meat with diced onions and green bell peppers. Sprinkle with taco seasoning. Mix in corn, tomatoes and beans.
- Drizzle the bottom of the pan with a little avocado oil and layer the blue corn chips. Top with the meat and veggie mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and sliced jalapenos.
- Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes. Serve warm!
A healthier version of an old fav can still be something to look forward to!